The following does NOT count as ‘me-time’ despite what you might read online in forums on advice boards
1) Taking a shower
2) Going to the toilet with the door shut
3) Reading a page of a book in bed
4) Doing the laundry while baby sleeps
5) Doing anything with baby – even if he’s sleeping soundly in the next room (as your left eye flickers)
6) A phone call that lasts more than 2 minutes to a midwife, health worker or your GP’s receptionist
7) Getting a few hours undisturbed sleep while a friend or family member watches your baby. This is survival, not luxury.
8) Catching up on chores
What DOES count as ‘me-time’
1) Getting your hair did
2) Getting a mani pedi or facial or massage
3) Having a delicious creamy latte or hot chocolate in a cafe, alone (evidence of my first one at 4.5 weeks post birth)
4) Watching at least two back-to-back episodes from your favourite series (W1A, Real Houswives, 16 and Pregnant…)
5) Going for a long walk, sitting on a bench and people watching. I love doing this and watching other mums with babies. I look at their clothes, hair, pram, baby clothes, eye bags…..Add sandwich for hot coffee if required.
6) Baking or cooking something that makes you happy. Not baby food or a family dinner. Something yummy and special like cupcakes or mini pizza’s. Rock those candy-striped oven gloves girrrrl!
7) Any hobby type activity that you love whether it’s hand-making Christmas cards, gardening, pottery…anything that feeds your soul
What are your favourite ‘me-time’ moments? Or are they still a pipe dream?